CIO February 2009

Re: Savings with Open Source

Luke Fernandez <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Feb 2009 09:17:14 -0700

In reference to prior discussions on these issues you might also want
to check out the EDUCAUSE OPENNESS Constituent Group Listserv

In Theresa's last paragraph she mentions, in passing, that recent
economic conditions may be reshuffling the way we evaluate these
systems and that "total cost of operation" may begin to play a larger
factor in institutional decision-making about LMSs.   I'm not an
accountant or an economist so I'm definitely venturing out of my area
of expertise but I'm wondering whether the group can comment on the
following.

In estimating "total cost of operation" should we be factoring in
whether the money spent on the system stays within the institution or
the region?  Say for example, one takes the state of California with
roughly 175 institutions of higher ed, and that each of those
institutions paid $50,000 for a vendor-LMS license.  If instead of
paying those licensing fees the the institutions spent the money on
open-source technicians that would amount to nearly 9 million dollars
and 100 new jobs.  To me (and once again I'll profess that my
understanding of finance borders on the naive) that sounds like the
beginnings of an economic stimulus plan and a potential cost savings
since the money is staying in state rather than flowing elsewhere.....

Comments?

Luke Fernandez, Ph.D. (in the humanities)
Weber State University