View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  April 2009

CIO April 2009

Re: CIO Digest - 24 Apr 2009 to 25 Apr 2009 (#2009-106)

Mitchel Davis <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Apr 2009 14:09:43 -0400

At Bowdoin, the CIO is one of the senior officers of the College and
does have some operational responsibility for all the departments. The
CIO is on the president's cabinet and involved with the strategic
business and academic decision.

IT staff and the CIO work with the departments to set policy and to
refine business processes to meet the changing requirements of the
College. They then work with the clients to implement software solutions
that take advantage of this new streamlined operational state. Any large
software project proposal must include a very detailed business process
analysis.

Data security is pushing the CIO even farther into the individual
department operations and the development of College governing policies.

Marketing and communication because of the dependence on technology to
communicate is just one more CIO responsibility.

The role of the CIO is evolving. For some it might turn into a COO
operational role like some CFOs or into something entirely different. I
am pretty sure that the new role will involve more responsibility and
not less.

Mitch Davis
CIO
Bowdoin College