CIO April 2009

Re: Laptop offering

Arno Bosse <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 5 Apr 2009 15:28:09 -0500

Hi Pejay,

In the Humanities Division at the University of Chicago we support ~
360 active faculty and staff. Our internal rules for whom we provide w/
new & replacement computers are a bit complicated.. but at the end of
the day it comes out to about 60 new machines a year.

For laptops, we base our current standard offering around Apple's
MacBook w/extended warranty (~ $1,460) since we have no ability to go
below this price anyway (and leasing is too inflexible for us..
faculty are not willing to transition to a new machine on a fixed
schedule). We then configure a standard Dell business laptop to be
close to equivalent in price and features. If faculty wish to get a
better model they certainly can, but need to make up the difference
with their own research funds (e.g. +$300 for a laptop with a larger
monitor). We strongly discourage faculty purchasing non-Apple, non-
Dell computers. Staff are typically only issued with desktops -
additions (e.g. a second monitor for the finance staff) are acceptable
if the department makes up the difference. Computers are replaced on a
4 year cycle, but we ask faculty, in the interest of saving money, to
consider holding onto their machines for a 5th year. Since we don't
specify a generic set of hardware features nor a wedded to a
particular model we're able to immediately move to a better/cheaper
laptop when this opportunity presents itself. Four years ago when I
started we were spending ~ $2,200 per laptop. Now it's ~ $1,500. In
other words, we've been able to let market forces push down our cost
for us. We also don't upgrade the OS on a laptop (or a desktop) once
it has been issued (i.e. no WinXP to Vista, OS X 10.5 to 10.6
migrations for example). We have a custom build for our computers but
the only software we add to the vendor's standard offering is MS
Office and Acrobat for Windows PCs (only). For more details, please
see the "Policies" section under: http://humanities.uchicago.edu/facultystaff/#humcomp
|desktop-support

Hope this is useful.

cheers,