CIO April 2009

Re: Refunding with Higher One

Malik Rahman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 21 Apr 2009 00:38:41 -0400

Our answers would be about the same except that our start year was 2008.

Students are pleased and so are our Financial Services colleagues. Our concerns about security of data exchange were addressed.

Malik K. Rahman
CIO
Central Piedmont Community College
Charlotte, North Carolina
(704)330-6598

________________________________
From: Mike Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 6:36 PM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [CIO] Refunding with Higher One

From: The EDUCAUSE CIO Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mahlberg, Jim
Sent: Monday, April 20, 2009 6:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CIO] Refunding with Higher One

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some information on using Higher One for AR refunding to a debit-type card. Our Accounting director has scheduled a meeting on it this Thursday because he is pretty sure he wants to go ahead with it. I just wanted to get some information from a college who may have already been down that road, so that I can be prepared for the meeting. If you use Higher One and have a few moments to spare, I would really appreciate it if you could briefly answer my questions. If you donít use it and maybe do the same thing with a local bank or something or if you thought about going with Higher One and decided against it, please let me know that as well.

1.     How long have you been using Higher One? Started May 2007

2.     What types of things do you use it for?  All student refunds. We still have our own student ID card and are not using it for paychecks although it could be used for that

3.     Approximately how long did it take to get everything set up? 3 months

4.     Does it take a lot of attention from the IT staff to run processes, troubleshoot problems, etc., on a regular basis? Very, very little IT staff time is needed after it is implemented. Any problems are initially investigated by our Student Accounts office who contact Higher One. The only time IT has been called in is when a file did not get FTPed correctly, usually due to network/internet errors. We did give our Student Accounts office full access to see all the data being sent to HigherOne and when it was sent.

5.     What kind of problems have you had? Technical side, Occasional FTP problems. Other issues, some students/parents who do not understand the process and donít know where their refund is.

6.     Does it save the Accounting staff a lot of time and are they happy with it? Yes, and Yes. To date 29,000+ A/P checks that did not need to be printed, stuffed, handed out/mailed

7.     Do the students really like it? Yes, no need to stand in line for hours to get a refund check.

8.     Have you had any complaints from parents? See #5. Some parents donít want their students to have any access to loan refunds and donít like the refund going to the students HigherOne account. These are usually taken care of when we explain that HigherOne will pass the money on to any checking accounting at any bank they would like.

9.     Would you recommend using Higher One to other schools?  Yes Do you have additional comments? HigherOne knows their business and yours when it comes to students and refunds and following Title IV requirements. They provide all the help you need to get setup and even help you market to your institution and have an excellent support system.

Thanks so much for your input and advice!