View LISTSERV archives

IDM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

IDM Home

IDM  April 2009

IDM April 2009

Re: IDM Digest - 24 Apr 2009 to 27 Apr 2009 (#2009-32)

Peter Jalaff <[log in to unmask]>

Identity Management Constituent Group Discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:18:18 -0400

Hi Amos,

When I speak with clients about an IdM solution for their environment, we
focus on several factors these may or may not apply to you:

1- What are your systems you plan to connect in the short term?  You did
mention PeopleSoft, but what else are you going to connect to this system?
2- Once you have systems connected in the short term, what is your long term
goal?  Which way does your org lean in terms of platform?  Do you consider
yourselves a *nix shop over Microsoft?
3- What about your internal dev shop?  Typically you'll find a mix of .NET
and Java, sometimes you'll have a much greater concentration in one group
than the other.  Ultimately your internal team may be tasked to maintain the
solution, so make sure you get something they understand.
4- What's the future of the vendor companies?  Now that SUN is merging with
Oracle, what does this mean to both of these technologies/solutions?
5- Consider implementation.  How much is it going to costs?  How long is it
going to take?  Who is going to implement the solution? (Earl Perkins from
Gartner says: 'it's better to have a mediocre software and a great
implementer, than a great software and a mediocre implementer') Bottom line
is: it's the consulting company that will determine the success of the
project.

There's more to consider, but this is a good start.

Best,
Peter Jalaff