View LISTSERV archives

IDM@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

IDM Home

IDM  April 2009

IDM April 2009

Re: Which IdM with PeopleSoft?

Eric Goodman <[log in to unmask]>

Identity Management Constituent Group Discussion list <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:42:33 -0700

We use Sun's Identity Manager, but we really don't use real time feeds.

Our PeopleSoft app runs a nightly DB dump (SQR) of user records that
we transfer to our local database. Then Sun IM iterates over new/
changed records and updates them.

We looked at doing direct "real-time" provisioning but we skipped that
for a few reasons:

1) DB table lookups provides less coupling between DB table structures
on each "side" of the interface.

2) Our SIM data is compiled from data in multiple tables, most of
which have effective-dated values, making it difficult to write a
simple query to pull and calculate values (e.g., distinguishing a
current student from an applicant from a barred student requires
querying several different tables and comparing the values with
precedence rules to handle potential conflicting statuses).

3) Much of our PeopleSoft Campus Solutions processing happens in bulk
anyway, so even if we read real-time, some amount of our data
(actually, most by quantity) would still be effectively bulk anyway.

--- Eric

Eric Goodman
Identity Management Project Manager
ITS Delaware