View LISTSERV archives

ITWOMEN@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

ITWOMEN Home

ITWOMEN  January 2010

ITWOMEN January 2010

Re: panel session for women in IT

Leah Ericson <[log in to unmask]>

The EDUCAUSE ITWomen Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jan 2010 11:34:52 -0500

The statement: "...higher education IT organizations must realize that
one of the greatest sources of staff can be found in women" makes it
seem that they don't realize this.  They might very well realize this,
but don't have pools of female candidates from which to choose.  Are
women actually applying to leadership positions in IT?  Is the
proportion of male to female uneven because males are beating them out
or is it because they aren't interested in these positions?  A more
telling statistic might be "number of positions currently held by males
for which both men and women were viable candidates."  However, I doubt
this is an easy measure to obtain.

My point is that we should really investigate the "why" of the "problem"
before we start talking about solutions.  The solution to "Women aren't
in IT leadership because they aren't qualified enough" would be very
different from the solution to "Women aren't in IT leadership because
they don't want to be."  The solution to the former is much more obvious
than the solution to the latter.  If women don't want to be in IT,
should we just leave them alone?  Maybe for this case we should identify
the reasons it is important to the field of IT that women be involved.
Will the field fail without women?  If so, we should say that.  Then we
might be able to start to inspire women to participate.

I don't know the answers to these questions.  I'm just trying to
constructively look at this issue from another angle.