< Back to LISTSERV archives

INSTTECH@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

INSTTECH Home

INSTTECH  February 2010

INSTTECH February 2010

Re: Digital Media Management

Andrew Roderick <[log in to unmask]>

The EDUCAUSE Instructional Technologies Constituent Group Listserv <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:05:59 -0800

SF State has been using it's locally developed DIVA (Digital
Information Virtual Archive) for handling media (audio and video)
along with all other digital formats (images, documents, etc.). It's a
repository with built in support for specific formats.

For video specifically, it has a transcoder service to rip flash
versions of most formats for inline browser playback. The systems
handles metadata (dublin core or whatever standard you'd like) and has
robust tagging service.

We're getting ready to add streaming, annotation, and automated
submission to 3rd party captioning services (with support for internal
review and approval).

You can take a look at:

http://diva.sfsu.edu

or can look at what we've done with our San Francisco Bay Area
Television Archive:
http://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv

Looking at open sourcing in the coming year and definitely interested
in building some partnerships around that.

best,
Andrew Roderick
SF State - Office of Academic Technology
Technology Development Manager