View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  July 2012

CIO July 2012

Re: Topic #7 Funding Information Technology Strategically

Carmen Rahm <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 Jul 2012 05:54:55 -0700

I do, and have for years.  It's great, as long as you have the right
CFO, and communicate ... Don't ever allow him/her to be surprised by not
being aware of something that is happening in your area.

Carmen A. Rahm
Asst. VP for Information Technology
Central Washington University
400 East University Way
Ellensburg, WA  98926
Direct Phone:          (509) 963-2925
Mobile Phone:         (360) 271-2992
ITS Office Phone:   (509) 963-2333
ITS HelpDesk:         (509) 963-2001
ITS Homepage:       www.cwu.edu/~its
Go Green: Emails use 100% recycled electrons!
>>> Theresa Rowe <[log in to unmask]> 07/10/12 05:51 AM >>>
Communicating with your CFO seems to be key to funding success.  What
methods or approaches do you use to successfully communicate with your
CFO?

Educause resources might be helpful when considering how to communicate
your CFO:

There were reports of CIOs moving organizationally to reporting to the
CFO.  If you report to your CFO, how is that working out?

http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/cfos-talk-about-finances-glimmers-hope
CFOs Talk About Finances...
http://www.educause.edu/library/resources/dynamic-duo-cfocio-partnerships-surviving-economic-downturn
The Dynamic Duo:  CFO/CIO Partnerships...

Terrie

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM, Jack Suess <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Jack Suess             UMBC VP of IT & CIO
> [log in to unmask]     1000 Hilltop Circle
> 410.455.2582          Baltimore Md, 21250
> Homepage:             http://bit.ly/fSB5ID
>

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Theresa Rowe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Counting down on the Top Ten IT Issues 2012:
>> http://www.educause.edu/ero/article/top-ten-it-issues-2012
>> Issue #7: Funding Information Technology Strategically
>>
>> The IT funding issue is an ongoing conversation, not a problem that
can
>> be resolved conclusively. In addition to the general financial
squeeze that
>> educational institutions currently feel, other important factors are
>> influencing campus IT funding. As IT resources are becoming more
>> decentralized*putting resources where they are needed*the IT funding
big
>> picture becomes more difficult to see clearly. For similar reasons,
it is
>> very important that IT funding is not viewed as unrelated to other
academic
>> and operational decision-making about funding. Information technology
>> serves the mission of the institution; strategic decisions about
funding
>> can be made only when the relationship between technology and that
mission
>> is clear. As Christopher Watts noted: "To put it another way, you
don't
>> plan a trip to the moon without arranging for transportation, and you
don't
>> build a rocket if you're not planning a trip." Thus, the IT
organization
>> needs to engage its institutional colleagues in the processes of
setting
>> funding priorities and building their ownership in the decisions.
>>
>> "Transparency and ongoing communication across the campus are more
>> critical than ever to avoid unnecessary redundancies and to help
ensure
>> that different groups do not inadvertently work at cross-purposes."
>> *Christopher Watts, Director, Newell Center for Arts Technology, St.
>> Lawrence University
>>
>> _____
>>

> I'll show my age and put in a plug for Greg Jackson's CAUSE/Effect
article
> in 1999 -- Show me the Money and other unsolicited advice for CIO's.
The
> article highlighted to me that if you don't understand the budget
process
> at your university you are at a real disadvantage.
>
> This is one reason why CIO's should serve on their budget committee.
If
> nothing else you begin to understand the financial levers that drive
> universities.  You also begin to see how other VP's manage unexpected
costs
> and new opportunities. By understanding the financial levers of the
> university you can find ways to strengthen those initiatives and be a
team
> player.
>
> If you aren't on good terms with your CFO then you should be. It is
clear
> to me that CFO's, through the budget, are the gatekeepers of what gets
done
> at universities. Demonstrating you are a good steward of funds is a
> prerequisite to get CFO's to give you additional funds. If you can't
manage
> funds or projects you are lack credibility.
>
> To me, this is an area where I think we could probably do a better job
in
> professional development. It may be that now the EDUCAUSE management
> institute does this kind of financial balance sheet training but when
I was
> coming up in the mid-90's I had to learn it on my own. I think getting
> CIO's and aspiring CIO's well tuned on higher ed finances and basic
> accounting terminology is a good first start.
>
> Finally, one benefit of a seat at the table is you can explain where
all
> the IT money goes. I go out of my way to show each of my VP and Dean
> colleagues that IT is saving them money through our site licenses,
> leveraged hardware buys, and staffing support. I think that helps over
time.

> jack

EDUCAUSE

--