View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  July 2012

CIO July 2012

Re: Top 10 Issues: Issue #9 Supporting the Research Mission through High-Performance Computing...

Luke Fernandez <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 1 Jul 2012 07:29:03 -0600

I think Jack's observation is a good one.  The way the issue is
phrased (e.g. high performance computing, large data, and analytics)
glosses over other types of research that IT can contribute to.  In
the digital humanities (DH) we're interested, not only in using
digital tools to further humanities research, we're researching the
way that our humanity (and education) is being remade by our tools.
The conventional relationship is for IT to help in this first aspect
of DH (e.g. facilitating the introduction and use of tools).  But why
not also play at least an ancillary role in this latter aspect of DH
(e.g. helping DH research the human-computer relationship) by chipping
in some money for colloquiums, and speakers who are examining this
problem?

For sure, IT needs to be a change agent and maybe (as some on this
listserv sometimes seem to signal) a disruptive one at that.  But by
helping fund research that is looking at these latter DH concerns one
can also signal that IT is interested in change that is informed by
the research of the customers we're trying to serve.

Cheers,

Luke
http://itintheuniversity.blogspot.com