Re: What conference do you go to?

Michael Sinatra <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 May 2013 15:46:01 -0700

Note that the preliminary agenda was posted about a week ago:

https://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog58/preagenda

More comments inline:

On 4/26/13 5:34 AM, Pete Hoffswell wrote:
> I'd have to agree with Pete M on NANOG.  It's pretty ISP/commercial
> focused.  When I regularly attended NANOG meetings, I would have regular
> conversations supporting more involvement of higher ed, both in the
> research and operations areas.  Not much ever came of it.

I have been going to one NANOG per year since 2003, and I see some
interesting trends.  The interests of R&E and commercial folks seem to
be converging somewhat--not totally, but somewhat.  SDN is a huge topic
of interest, and there will be an SDN Tutorial from our friends at
Internet2 and IU.  In addition, topics like RPKI, DNSSEC, and IPv6 are
still discussed--those things that we were involved in way back when,
but the difference I see is that at least some of the commercial ISP
world is really following through on such things.  Some EDUs got the bug
to deploy technologies like IPv6 in the lab and then forgot about it.
Seeing what the ISPs are doing gives us a chance to see stuff in
operation (and SDN is no exception).  Also, security is a big theme, and
the Security Track in New Orleans should be quite good.

> Still, it's worth attending at least once, so you can see what it's all
> about.  There is much valuable technical knowledge to be gained, and a
> great chance to network with some pretty sharp folks.  Entertaining,
> too, to say the least.
>
> How about the Internet2 Joing techs conferences?

That's my point.  The next Joint Techs won't be until October 2014.  I
think it's a good idea to find alternatives to fill that gap.

> The most recent one
> was http://events.internet2.edu/2013/tip/  TIP2013.  Of course, it was
> in Hawaii.... fat chance our budget would allow that....

Being on the West Coast, I can say that it was cheaper for me to fly to
Honolulu than it was to fly to, say, Detroit.  Hotel prices were
comparable on a per-night basis.  But I agree, it's all about
appearances. :)

michael