Re: VoIP question regarding Life Safety Lines

Peter P Morrissey <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 5 Mar 2013 19:35:36 +0000

Great point. We have had similar issues with Verizon support. I think that the issue is that if you add a VoIP PBX, and a gateway, and an IP network, you have a lot more potential points of failure in line. No matter how reliable each component may be, one is only capable of decreasing reliability and not increasing reliability unless you are able to provide some redundancies that you wouldn't otherwise be able to leverage.

I think it also depends upon if those calls go off campus or not. If they do, then you still have to connect to Verizon for local calls unless you are doing SIP trunks which add their own points of failure. On the other hand, if all those calls stay on campus, then you are much more in control over all the pieces.

Pete Morrissey