Anycast Suggestions (was: DNS, multiple forwarders, and multiple paths)

Jason Healy <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 1 Apr 2013 08:18:05 -0400

On Mar 31, 2013, at 9:27 PM, Kurt Hillig <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We use anycast for several other services on campus now - for example RADIUS - and it's saved our bacon more than once; I highly recommend that people take a good look at it, it's not that complex and it makes both client configuration and server maintenance much easier.

As someone who's looking into it (and who hasn't found a great HOWTO on it), I have a question about how people have structured it.

Do you set up the anycast manually (static routes to hard-coded next hops), or with something like OSPF?  Our campus is small, and we have no topological redundancy, so we could just attach everything to the core and rely on L3-next-hop to setup small anycast groups.

For those of you that are using OSPF or other route injection from the nodes, are you doing any service health checks before advertising the route, or just a basic "if the machine is up then it's part of the anycast group" setup?  For example, not advertising a route until the RADIUS service is up, initialized, and running?

Thanks,

Jason