Re: Cisco compliant twinax

Peter P Morrissey <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Jun 2013 23:36:56 +0000

If it is anything like SFP and similar transceivers, Cisco only supports Cisco. You will pay many times more for the Cisco version. Technically, they don't have to help you with a TAC case if there is a layer 1 issue and they find out you are not using Cisco. In spite of that, we still use all third party transceivers. You may be able to disable the "feature" as described here:
http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-switches/866-cisco-switches-3rd-party-sfp.html

You can always buy a spare Cisco cable or transceiver if it becomes an issue. When you think about it, if it is a layer 1 problem, they are probably going to ask you to swap it out at some point in the troubleshooting process anyway, even if it is a Cisco cable (if you haven't already tried that yourself). You can also watch for errors on the port which will count up if there are legitimate issues.

If you just have a couple of connections, then it is probably worth just biting the bullet and buying Cisco, but a lot of connections can add a significant cost to a project.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying a bit of a premium for a Cisco version, but they really gouge you on the price. I doubt Cisco manufactures their transceivers themselves either.

Pete Morrissey

From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Christina Klam [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 5:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [NETMAN] Cisco compliant twinax

All,

We just purchased some twinax cables made by addon.  They promised to be
Cisco complaint but our N7K is not agreeing,
"%ETHPORT-3-IF_UNSUPPORTED_TRANSCEIVER: Transceiver on interface
Ethernet1/19 is not supported".

Who are you using for your twinax cables?

Thank you,
-- Christina
Christina Klam
Network Engineer
Institute for Advanced Study
Email:  [log in to unmask]

Einstein Drive          Telephone: 609-734-8154
Princeton, NJ 08540     Fax:  609-951-4418