Re: Cisco compliant twinax

Ronald Martin Bunal <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Jun 2013 11:38:26 +0000

Another thought.  Older versions of NX-OS did not support twinax in the 7000.  I believe you need 5.1 or later.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jeff Kell
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 7:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] Cisco compliant twinax

On 6/24/2013 7:36 PM, Peter P Morrissey wrote:
> You can always buy a spare Cisco cable or transceiver if it becomes an issue. When you think about it, if it is a layer 1 problem, they are probably going to ask you to swap it out at some point in the troubleshooting process anyway, even if it is a Cisco cable (if you haven't already tried that yourself). You can also watch for errors on the port which will count up if there are legitimate issues.

Well, this is possibly justifiable if you have Cisco gear on both ends of the connection.  But if you're looking at a top-of-rack style solution for servers, and you want to run twinax (why the heck would you run optical?), are "both ends" going to be happy?  If you get an Intel
X520 10G blade in a server, can you run twinax to your TOR switch?
Should the twinax be Cisco or Intel or Dell (or whoever makes your server)?  And if you want to link Cisco to Arista or Brocade or somebody else, can you get twinax that both ends will be happy with?

> Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying a bit of a premium for a Cisco version, but they really gouge you on the price. I doubt Cisco manufactures their transceivers themselves either.

No, they don't.  There's a command to dump the ID ROM (somewhere?  can't recall it offhand) to dump the vendor ID, and I recall seeing IBM and Finistar and other non-Cisco IDs showing up on Cisco-branded optics (maybe we got swindled?).

I'm still just surprised they are so picky about a twinax cable.

Jeff