Re: DHCP

Arran Cudbard-Bell <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Jul 2013 22:28:43 +0100

FreeRADIUS supports DHCP.

In addition to using SQL as backend lease store, it has the linelog module which allows you to create arbitrary log entries based on different options in the request/offer, and can perform debug logging for individual users traffic to socket/screen/file via the radmin interface.

It's considerably more advanced in its policy capabilities than ISC or Microsoft Windows DHCP servers, allowing policy scripts to be written in it's native language 'unlang', perl and python.

I have no vested interest in people use it as a DHCP server, just thought i'd mention it if anyone was looking for something a bit more flexible.

-Arran

On 9 Jul 2013, at 22:03, John Rodkey <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> And don't forget cut and join!  :)
> But you can get all these utilities for Windows to make it useful again...
>
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Brian Helman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Jeff,
>

> At the risk of starting a religious war..
>

> But Windows is so much easier to work with, so it must be better, right?
>

> Honestly, Im in the if it aint broke.. camp.  And Windows logging, at least up to 2003 (I have limited experience with 2008) is pathetic.  Patrick Goggins did send some CLI (if I understand his response) commands that Ill take a closer look at.  But really, for speed, ease of use, flexibility and stability, Id much prefer to stick with ISC.  Unfortunately, my 30 years of experience dont mean much against the Microsoft Marketing Machine.
>

> .. I find myself using cat, grep and awk on my Windows systems more and more though.
>

> -Brian

FreeRADIUS Development Team