Re: Network, Server and Application up/down and performance monitoring?

Julian Y Koh <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Jul 2013 12:14:22 +0000

We use Traverse for most of our SNMP-based monitoring/alert functions for network equipment and services.  It can also do some synthetic transactions for application-level tests, although again we primarily use it only for items under the networking group's control.  There's an API for interfacing with external applications and scripts as well.  It also receives SNMP traps from some other monitoring systems like Airwave for our wireless network, our emergency phone management system, etc.

The data center folks use Nagios, I believe, as their primary monitoring/alerting tool for the servers and enterprise applications there.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Acting Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
847-467-5780
NUIT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>