Re: RF/Cable/Video distribution...

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 12 Jan 2013 15:24:00 -0500

On 1/12/2013 2:17 PM, Shuttlesworth, James wrote:
> We have a mix of legacy coax and Singlemode fiber to distribute.  Singlemode is a requirement - I don't think you can use multimode at all. however the infrastructure terminations do not need to be angle polish, use the same flat polish terminations we use for data, but use jumper cables (APC -> Flat) to connect to the RF equipment - it works fine so long as you account for the small DB loss you get from the flat connections.

I have been lead to believe the opposite... analog RF requires APC
terminations end-to-end, while you can get data over APC as long as the
last jumper (panel to data equipment) is APC->UPC.  It is the presence
of the flat termination that generates the reflectance that causes the
analog noise?

> 	Dealing with analog RF over fiber is a different experience than dealing with data - performance can be somewhat subjective, 'snow' can be caused by dirt on a terminator and chasing it down is fairly labor intensive - a DB meter, Microscope and a ton of prep wipes are very useful tools (the optical signal level meter is essential).

Will a data OTDR work over APC terminations?

Jeff