Re: Server naming scheme

Danny Eaton <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Aug 2013 11:42:30 -0500

For us, for networking devices, we do a three letter code for building name,
then room number, then device type, then chassis number, separated by
hyphens.

IE:  lib-169-a-1 - is in the library, room 169, it's an access chassis (d =
l3 distribution, p = policy enforcement, w = wireless distribution, etc.),
and it's switch 1 in the that IDR.  We can dispatch FE&P for power quickly,
or find the closet in the event of a failure for those that don't work in
the closets on a daily basis.

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris Fabri
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 11:37 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] Server naming scheme

On Aug 29, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Brian Helman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> btw, I disagree with the bullet point of no non-alphanumerics .. a
> dash is critical for readability

Amen.      Very hard to pick out what the critical delineations are when you
have a bunch of letters and numbers all bundled together.

--
Chris Fabri
Senior Network Engineer, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Rd, Leverone Hall G-160
Evanston, IL  60208
(847) 467-2539
www.it.northwestern.edu