Re: Server naming scheme

Randy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:04:49 +0000

We use a very similar scheme for our networking gear, at Mason. We have a standard set of four-character building codes, and rather than using room numbers we designate telecom rooms as A, B, C, or D with some guidelines as to where to start. We also use a two-character standard designator for equipment type, e.g.:

AQUIA-01-A-SW02  <= second switch or stack in the "A" TR of Aquia Bldg
HAZL-04-A-TS01 <= NTP server ("TS") in 4th floor A TR of Hazel Hall

This system has worked out well for keeping track of our 500+ devices/stacks.

Randy
From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Brian Helman [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 10:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] Server naming scheme

..which is good until they change the room numbers.

We used this same scheme for network gear (not servers) for years.  .. and then our Facilities people went on a renumbering binge.  Now, our systems with names showing location as, e.g, room 209 are now in room 210.  As a result, we retooled the naming to be <device type>-<MDF/IDF>-# (e.g sw-bdmdf-1).  If the building has more than 1 wiring closet, that middle section remains generic as MDF, IDF1, IDF2 etc.  The network guys just need to know where each room is.

For the people who are virtualized (I don't run our data center, so I haven't thought much about this), is there a value to tying the names of a VM to the VS, the way many of us are tying servers/equipment to rooms?  Or does that fall apart because of technologies like vmotion?

-Brian