Re: Small low cost managed switch

Jeroen van Ingen <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 6 Sep 2013 13:03:41 +0200

On 08/29/2013 09:57 PM, Vlade Ristevski wrote:
> Anyone try the smaller HP Procurve series? I bought the HP procurve
> 1810G-8 for my house and it works very well for what I do at home. I
> have 4 security cameras pushing data on it 24x7 as well as Netflix and
> backups to a NAS. It is web interface only but does support Spanning
> Tree, SNMP (alot of the cheaper ones don't) , native VLANs among other
> features. I did test it at work and it can be powered over POE. I pushed
> good numbers through it using IPERF but I haven't had time to put any in
> production.  If anyone has any good/bad feedback on these models I'd
> appreciate it. The price is awesome for the features it has.

Most of our network is HP ProCurve; only the fully managed models (so
not the 1800 series). I've been very satisfied with the small HP 2615
and 2915 models. HP's 2520 is also good, but it lacks DHCP snooping
(which we use on every switch).

Regards,

Jeroen van Ingen
ICT Service Centre
University of Twente, P.O.Box 217, 7500 AE Enschede, The Netherlands