Firewall transitional advice (exception management)

"Michael L. Sheinberg" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:42:53 -0400

Thanks all for the advice so far on the config management question I
posted yesterday.

I have another non-related question in regards to the introduction of
firewalls from a management perspective. We are on the
path towards introducing a firewall in our environment which includes a lot
of people doing internet research and hosting their own servers. I'd
like to get feedback from others that went through a similar transition
and how they deal with the problem of exception management. In other
words, what processes automated and/or manual do you all utilize to punch
firewall holes for users? I'm concerned that will be a challenge to
maintain in our mixed user environment without some serious upfront
design considerations.

My initial thoughts were that we need to get technical and introduce
a dynamic VLAN system on our switches to automatically place people in
the correct VLANs based on predetermined function. That way we only have
to create firewall rules based off network segments. We would still
need a system in place to classify machines up-front but after that it
seems like less up-keep. Packetfence was a big inspiration for this
design (an open-source NAC).

I'm not certain of all the alternatives but I imagined some kind of hybrid VPN
setup with us creating manual exceptions for certain server ports. I'd like to
hear of what others in the community do to tackle this issue.

Thanks!
--
--Mike Sheinberg