Re: UPS for network across campus

Aaron Smith <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:00:20 -0400

>Do you use UPSes for all network gear across campus?
Yes.  All network closets (~60) have a UPS of some sort.  This was treated as a life safety requirement when moving to a VOIP system a few years ago.  In places where the building has a backup generator they are sized to run ~15 minutes.  Those places without a generator are sized to run at least an hour.

>Is IT responsible for the upkeep, or is facilities/physical plant responsible?
ITS manages the UPS's including upkeep.

>What is your experience with keeping up with many UPSes?
A necessary evil.  I would rather replace the UPS than all of the network/phone gear.  Having network cards in the UPS (Tripplites are currently being used to replaced aging Powerwares) is the biggest help in keeping on top of them.  The cards let us monitor each UPS for failed batteries or other problems by setting up syslog alerts.  This also lets us know how often a space losses power, which might be reported or noticed otherwise.

>If you don’t use UPSes, what is your experience with this? Have you seen switch failures after power issues?
Even with UPSes there can still be power problems. UPSes don't protect the switches from surges coming from the copper connections out to client devices.  We have lost switches, or just the POE function, after big electrical storms that included lightning strikes nearby.

Aaron Smith
Network Engineer
ITS
Swarthmore College

I wanted to informally survey what is being done on other campuses for power backup and conditioning for the network across the campus. We have tried to install small APC UPSes (the Back-UPS Pro models) in all network closets; we want to have 5 - 10 minutes of backup for the small power hiccups that seem all too common. However the time, cost, and organization required to keep up with aging and failing UPSes, bad batteries, etc  sometimes seems to be more trouble than it's worth. After a number of extended switch down incidents caused by failed UPSes or batteries, I've considered slowing replacing them with quality power strips (for surges/spikes, etc) and letting them reboot when the power goes out. The concern by others is this would be somehow hard on the switches and cause increased failures.

So I had a few questions about what others are doing:

*         Do you use UPSes for all network gear across campus?

*         Is IT responsible for the upkeep, or is facilities/physical plant responsible?

*         What is your experience with keeping up with many UPSes?

*         If you don't use UPSes, what is your experience with this? Have you seen switch failures after power issues?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Thomas Carter
Network and Operations Manager
Austin College