Re: Infoblox vs Bluecat

Chris Fabri <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Sep 2013 16:02:03 +0000

On Sep 25, 2013, at 4:56 PM, Jason Murray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> * Upgrades are painless - I can't stress this enough...   We have done 3 upgrades since rolling this to production from 6.6.x to 6.8.x and everything went without a hitch.

I'd like to stress this point.    Last year I had to update 6 or 7 times due to ISC related issues (DNS and DHCP) - not Infoblox issues.   Everyone went without a hitch over 7 units in about 90 minutes total.    There's a little work on the front end distributing upgrade software, but that is also simple.   They are quick to turn around these security related patches, usually within 24 hours.      I've made major upgrades from 2 ->3 ->4 ->5 ->6 (yeah, we've had them for a while) without any issues on major upgrades either.    We effectively have a DNS/DHCP team of one, and I'm easily capable of maintaining this system with minimal effort in terms of the nuts and bolts of upgrades.   Contrast this with dealing with maintaing and patching *nix systems running even RPM or yum based distributions (nevermind from source).        It easily justifies its cost based on this alone, IMO.

And for hardware replacement, it's just as simple.  You get the new box, you program an IP address, you login, you join the grid.   60 minutes later you're back in business.       They've really nailed this piece, I wish other vendors made it this easy.

--
Chris Fabri
Senior Network Engineer, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Rd, Leverone Hall G-160
Evanston, IL  60208
(847) 467-2539
www.it.northwestern.edu