Re: UPS for network across campus

Isaac Orr <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:42:10 -0700

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM, Thomas Carter
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[..]

> So I had a few questions about what others are doing:
>

> ·         Do you use UPSes for all network gear across campus?

No. We do in select locations (major distribution zones).  We do
deploy about one UPS per building to support PBX related
infrastructure.

> ·         Is IT responsible for the upkeep, or is facilities/physical plant
> responsible?

IT, we have a service agreement with a vendor that includes regular
maintenance inspections and battery replacement (though that is
pricey).

> ·         What is your experience with keeping up with many UPSes?

It is horrible.  We used to deploy UPSs for network equipment more
widely.  We found that we did not do a good job of maintaining these,
and over time the UPSs became more of a source of problems than an
improvement in stability.

> ·         If you don’t use UPSes, what is your experience with this? Have
> you seen switch failures after power issues?

Yes, its not uncommon for us to see device failures after significant
power events. Its not at a level where its cost or time effective for
us to protect everything with UPS though.

iso