Re: Thoughts on Cat6A

Isaac Orr <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:54:06 -0700

We recently decided to at least try going down the Cat6A Shielded
path.  The reason for this decision is that it allows us to deploy
cable infrastructure running at 10Gig next to existing Cat5/5E, which
is what we have in the majority of campus.

It doesn't solve the pathway issues (and certainly not the cost
issues), but it does allow you to run newer infrastructure alongside
older (which may indirectly improve things for cost and pathway).

The concerns about being difficult to work with are very valid for
Cat6A.  Newer shielded Cat6A is better though, having a reduced
diameter.

iso

--
Isaac Simon Orr
Manager, Network Operations and Services