Re: Fiber Termination in New Construction

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:00:23 -0400

On 9/30/2013 2:57 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Another consideration--if you ever plan to run modulated CATV over
> fiber, you may want to have SC/APC or LC/APC for that purpose.  The
> Angle Polished Connector is desired to minimize return loss
> (reflections back into the trasmitted signal at each connector).  Up
> to this point, we've re-terminated our existing SC/PC to SC/APC
> wherever we needed to use it for CATV purposes (only a few locations).

Is anyone just "standardizing" on APC?  As long as you get APC-to-UPC
jumpers for the switch ends, it seems like a more general approach.

We're in the process of setting up CATV and just terminated all of the
new runs with APC, after an initial test of a "data run" using the
converting jumpers seemed to work well.

Jeff