Re: Detect Copyright Content being Shared via P2P

Vlade Ristevski <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:29:08 -0400

I suspected it worked something like that. Unfortunately, I only know
the basics of how Bittorent works so I'm a little out of my element
here. I guess I'm hoping that there is some kind of client I can load
onto a Linux box that will connect to the Bittorrent network and look
for our subnets. Someone pitched a solution 6-7 years ago, but I believe
it sat inline and sniffed packets. I forgot who they were though and I'm
not sure if they would be effective once encryption is turned on.

On 10/22/2013 10:15 AM, Patrick Mauretti wrote:
> Vlad,
>
> It's my understanding that they simply connect to the torrent they want to scan IP addresses for, and use the peer list from the tracker to determine who is downloading/uploading pirated data.  In this way, they target the copyrighted material initially, and then secondarily get the offending user's IP address.  While there may be tools out there of which you seek, I do not believe the RIAA/MPAA use them.
>
> -Patrick
>
> Patrick Mauretti
> Network Manager
> Massasoit Community College