Re: Enable Jumbo Frame Support on C6509

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Dec 2013 22:17:17 -0500

On 12/5/2013 9:33 PM, Tim Cappalli wrote:
> We have jumbo enabled on our 6506 VSS pair data center core (S720-10G) and
> on our 3750-X TOR switches. Vmware / Xen mixed environment.
>
> No issues thus far. Been in production for about 18 months.

Just be sure that everything in the Layer-2 diameter of the "jumbo
frame" switch also supports jumbo frames, otherwise you will get packet
loss en route to your 6500 and there will be no error conveyed back to
the source.  If the "jumbo" doesn't reach your Layer-3 enabled switch to
potentially spit back out the ICMP error for PMTU discovery to work,
you'll have unexplained "dead spots".  (Most?) Layer-2 switches won't
generate an error if they receive an unsupported jumbo, they just drop.

Jeff