View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  May 2013

CIO May 2013

Re: Making the Use of Technology Mandatory for Faculty

Todd Jagerson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 May 2013 10:09:45 -0500

At my college I learned long ago the I.T. cannot "tell" faculty how to teach in the classroom. The approach I have used it to encourage the use of technology in the classroom (response devices, doc cams, LMS, iPad, PPT, video, online tools, etc.) And then use the faculty that have used technology as a conduit to promote and encourage others to use more technology.

We have an outstanding D2L team, the use of D2L has gone from few to almost everyone using D2L in some fashion and that occurred by promoting the "wins" faculty have had with the use of that technology.

 We don't have deep pockets but also find a way to fund technology use, if I gave all faculty a iPad as an example and told them to "use this to teach" I would guess I would get an 80% (check email) 20% (D2L, presentations, course specific application use). Thus I would spend 100% to get 20% "real" usage of that technology.

Faculty don't want to be told what to do, if we try then the faculty union will step in and that allows weakens the relationship at that point.

Encourage, promote, show wins, be open to ideas and engage the conversation, don't force or create an expectation.

Random thoughts from my side of the world.

Todd Jagerson
Chief Information Officer
Dakota County Technical College
651-423-8518 (office)