View LISTSERV archives

CIO@LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU

CIO Home

CIO  September 2013

CIO September 2013

Re: Top Ten Issue #1 Leveraging the Wireless and Device Explosion on Campus

"Hewitt, Nathaniel" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Sep 2013 21:46:16 +0000

Good afternoon, Colleagues! What a discussion!!! When I think about how we brought wireless onto our campus, for Wiley, it was out of necessity. Infrastructure was not growing...but student and faculty expectations were. I love the term, "nice to have," because we did not have the "honeymoon" opportunity  to experience that. From the moment we installed our first access point, the demand increased 10-fold...and not just for the access, but for support!

This discussion comes just in time because I am focusing my dissertation studies on the drivers and perceptions of support in this wireless age! We all know that with portability came convenience...leading to more "stuff..." and now we have different levels of what our constituencies consider good or bad "support" to be. How do your various constituencies (faculty, students, administrators, etc.) perceive this concept, "support?" What do they "think" it is?

Thanks for sparking my intellectual "juices!" :)

Nathaniel E. Hewitt, III
Vice President for Information Systems and Technology
Wiley College
711 Wiley Avenue
Marshall, Texas 75670
903-923-2404 (office)