CIO September 2013

Re: BYOD Only for Mobile (Tablets)?

Steve diFilipo <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:41:34 +0000

Janice

You provide excellent points and questions to be addressed.
I think Eden pretty much covered the key points from the research perspective.

Cecil College had 'adopted' the hybrid approach.
Based upon my research into disruptive technologies I have realized that smartphones and tablets represent the calm before the storm. Wearables and the Internet of Things represents a more significant disruptive force. With that in mind I have altered my position (not that of the college) regarding a college or business providing personal use devices.
A few considerations, but certainly not all:
- personal use devices establishes an ecosystem wherin the device and the data are attached to the users personal iTunes or Google accounts in addition to various cloud resources. There have been enough anecdotal stories that illustrate the inherent challenges with such an ecosystem (legal and otherwise) (see the LAUSD attempt to roll out iPads http://lat.ms/15YWWIK )
- to what extent does institution policy/practices address lifecycle management with mobile devices? Desktop computers have a more stable and predictable lifecycle. At what point should the institution be responsible to maintain device, OS and app currency? Which is clearly less predictable and with greater frequency.
- if the institution establishes a practice of providing personal use devices what will prevent requests (presumably valid, particularly for instructional use) for Google Glass, Samsung Smart Watch or whatever device is being crowd-funded at this very moment that we are not aware of?

I have presented these considerations to the college community to provide food for thought in light of budget planning, etc. No decision has been reached but a robust conversation has begun.

In the meantime my mantra of 'manage the access not the assets' has become more focused. In the research Eden referenced this notion is addressed in the section on Infrastructure which illustrates a robust middleware platform.

And in a moment of shameless plug, I will be speaking to the topic of disruptive technologies during 2 sessions at EDU13. Track me down and I can provide times & locations.

Steve diFilipo
@S_dF

VP / CIO
Cecil College

Over the last 12 months, I have led my institution to consider and create processes and policy around the adoption and college-purchase of tablet technology (iPads primarily) as well as firming up policies and approaches for BYOD.  There is still work to be done, but I feel we have a good foundation in moving forward.

The question was recently posed by our interim president if the college should continue to purchase tablet devices for faculty and staff.  Our current practice has a justification form and requires the approval of the Vice President in the individualís line of reporting, so we feel we have adequate measures for avoiding frivolous requests.  However, the comparison was made to cell phones/smart phones where at one time collegeís often provided these tools, but many have since moved away from providing smart phones as individuals have their own.  He contemplates that tablets are likely on the same approach and asks if it makes sense for the college to move away from purchasing tablets now in anticipation of this trend.  (Budget concerns are a consideration. Our last round of approved purchases was largely faculty and a few student-facing professionals.  Admin-only types were not approved generally.)

So, Iíve been reviewing the literature and creating a recommendation.  We currently have a blended approach that allows the college to purchase a tablet (with justification and approval) as well as a fairly liberal personal device support policy and continuing improvements to infrastructure for supporting BYOD.  Most of the conversations on this listserv have focused on the challenges of security and infrastructure in a BYOD world, and I am well aware of these issues.  Iím asking for the groupís thoughts on whether or not a college should still provide college-owned tablets, or should they strictly be a BYOD item?  Are they ubiquitous enough yet?  Will we hinder adoption and general improvement of the use of technology in the classroom if they HAVE to BYOD?  Where do your institutions stand on this question?

I appreciate your thoughts on this level and any references you may have to relevant research is welcome.  Iíve reviewed most (if not all) of the ECAR and EDUCAUSE literature on the topic which seems to be focused on the issues around developing a BYOD policy, and Iím asking a bit broader of a question.  Should tablets, in particular, ONLY be allowed as BYOD?  What are the risks and rewards of that approach?

Thanks in advance,
Janice Ward

Janice L. Ward
Chief Information Officer
North Iowa Area Community College
ellucianģ
500 College Drive
Mason City, IA  50401

Voice: 641.422.4436 Mobile: 641.525.0888
www.niacc.edu<http://listserv.educause.edu/cgi-bin/www.niacc.edu>

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system

[Anti-Virus Filter]<http://www.lsoft.com/products/default.asp?item=secured-by-FS&host=LISTSERV.EDUCAUSE.EDU&wa=http://listserv.educause.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe> [Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager] <http://www.lsoft.com/products/listserv-powered.asp>