CIO September 2013

Re: e-portfolio

Luke Fernandez <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:38:03 -0600

To add to Ed Garay's survey of the eportfolio mix one might also keep
in mind the "A Domain of One's Own" initiative that Jim Groom has been
spearheading at the University of Mary Washington (the title of course
is a riff on Virginia Wolf's "A Room of One's Own).  I think if you
dig around in the Tech Therapy podcasts there's an interview with him
about it about a year ago.  Part of Groom's argument is that we've
been so caught up in protecting student privacy and identity, and the
way that those are jeopardized by participation in social media and
the Web, that we've discounted the ways in which those tools can help
to grow identity constructively and to enhance a student's experience
in college. The idea of A Domain of One's Own is that instead of
counseling students to steer clear of these mediums we should be
helping them to develop the technical and social literacy's to use
them wisely.  Spun this way an eportfolio initiative isn't just about
adopting a technology, or an initiative to satisfy assessment
imperatives, but becomes instead a more invigorating program that
challenges an institution (and it's student's) to consider a broader
set of questions including the following:

-In the digital age do we need to expand our notions of literacy?   Is
it sufficient to teach students how to write and read or do they also
need to know how to author and host basic Web pages?  What courses on
campus (whether in computer science, visual arts, the digital
humanities) might be brought together to help answer these questions
and cater to the needs that may arise in answering these questions?

-In using these mediums, what do students need to know (to riff off of
Daniel Solove) to protect and enhance their reputations and to protect
those of their peers?  What courses on campus (and especially those in
communications, politics, psychology and history) can help students
gain a broader social understanding of what privacy means and how to
protect it while also growing a public identity?

The above might not be the way every institution wants to lead an
ePortfolio initiative.  But it might make sense for institutions who
haven't had much success with past eportfolio initiatives and need a
new way of branding it.

Luke
htttp://itintheuniversity.blogspot.com