CIO September 2013

Re: e-portfolio

Matthew Belskie <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:57:28 -0500

Hi everyone,

I originally replied only to Bill with this, but seeing some of the follow-up replies to his original post I wanted to reply to the full list (sorry that you'll be getting this twice, Bill!) because I think that my perspective on this is unique among this crowd.

Hi Bill,

I think that the Larry Conrad, who was CIO at UNC for a time while I worked in ITS there, came from ASU.

In any case, a move last year to the midwest precipitated by my wife accepting a professorship at Marquette landed me at the UWM School of Education, and with that came my introduction to the e-portfolio.

At UWM we use the D2L learning management system, which includes with it an e-portfolio component; and as a campus we are the single largest user of the D2L e-portfolio in the state.  The choice to use D2L makes sense for us because the LMS is provisioned through Madison - it means that a lot of the support comes we provide for it is only end-point support through school specific units, such as myself, and that we are not directly responsible for applying upgrades or server management.  At the same time that reduces our ability to customize the system, but if you have experience with highly customized ERP solutions or any other type of system you know that can be a double-edged sword.

Having come from UNC, both as an employee and as a graduate student in the School of Information of Library Science, my LMS experience extends beyond D2L to also include Blackboard and Sakai.  A lot of the functionality provided by an e-portfolio system is available in a number of learning management systems, in addition to products that aren't branded and sold as e-portfolio systems.  Writ large, the e-portfolio experience is very similar to any other portfolio experience - the collection and presentation of artifacts in evidence of a specific skill-set - but with the capability to bring in rich media forms.  From a base functional standpoint this can be accomplished with any type of content management system like drupal, blogging software like Wordpress (a personal example that I created when applying for my current position at http://belskie.web.unc.edu/), or a versatile web service like Google docs (one of the SOIS instructors at UWM permits her students to use this or any other online system, so long as they accomplish the goal of showcasing their work).

Probably the most valuable thing that a dedicated e-portfolio system will give you is identity management (a system that you can put behind a campus authentication service to manage enrollment), security (the ability to restrict access to what can be FERPA protected information and comply with school, DPI, and federal regulations), and ease of assessment (the e-portfolio system might include tie-ins to the LMS gradebook, to rubrics, or to other digital systems designed to facilitate the flow of dialogue between student and teacher).

So brass tacks?  You'll get as many opinions on this as people who reply.  I can tell you the things I don't like about the D2L e-portfolio, but for now I'd rather stick to the things I like.

- For us, because of the D2L arrangement, it first off means that our students and our campus pays nothing additional for students to use it.  UWM transitioned from LiveText to D2L in the year before I arrived (and I arrived in Fall 2012) in large part because they wanted to save the students the LiveText licensing fee which runs $150.  Given that just about any system can functionally do what an e-portfolio is designed to do I see no reason to spend money where you don't have to, unless there is a feature that you absolutely cannot live without that is only available in a for-purchase e-portfolio solution.

- My support experience with the e-portfolio developers has been excellent.  One of the challenges WI is dealing with is how to implement the new edTPA assessment - and it is the reason my position was created.  The D2L e-portfolio was not one of the Pearson/Stanford official systems for integrated edTPA support when I started.  In the last year I made the D2L developers aware of this new nation-wide assessment, and through subsequent emails and conference calls with them we have gotten the D2L e-portfolio on track to be an approved system.  Those experiences have all been positive, and it showed a willingness on their part to be critical of their system and design it to meet the needs of consumers.

- The support network is good.  There is an active D2L community through their forums, and one dedicated to talking about and working through e-portfolio issues.  I only discovered them when they picked up some instructional videos I made regarding how to use the D2L e-portfolio system, but having that type of community is a terrific boon.

For what it's worth, I think the e-portfolio requirement is an eminently essential one for would-be teachers.  As an educational technologist (on my own path to CIO) I try to emphasize that we need to see beyond the requirement as purely assessment, but rather as a modeling activity for the types of assignments that teachers should use with their own grade-level students to better prepare them to work with teachnology (I think I'm going to let that typo stand, "teachnology", I like it!).

I hope this helps you out, and if you have any follow-up questions please feel free to contact me.

Take care,
Matthew

Matthew Belskie, MSIS
Educational Technology Coordinator