Re: DHCPv6 options Bluecat Networks

Chuck Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:49:57 -0500

On Thu, Mar 06, 2014 at 08:32:00AM -0700, Randy Mahurin wrote:
> Is anyone having success with DHCPv6 yet?  I'm curious to hear how people
> are dealing with the lack of DHCPv6 redundancy (at least with Bluecat) and
> DHCPv6 DDNS update issues.  It seems that in my deployment, v6 takes
> precedence over v4 and will not allow a dual stack client to update DDNS
> for both v6 and v4.  I'm thinking of adding another DNS zone that will
> handle DDNS updates from the v6 clients, but am not sure if that would be
> the correct path.

These are problems generic to DHCPv6 and not specific to Bluecat.  If
you want the same DNS hostname to be updated with a client's DHCPv4
'A' record and DHCPv6 'AAAA' record, you can use RFC 4361 if you can
find client implementations that are compliant...good luck.

Any other possible soultions would have to be custom back-end systems
that somehow tie DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 leases together as the same host,
and then performs the DDNS update on behalf of the host.  You can use
RFC 6939 support on your routers/relay agents to help with this, but
again, good luck finding support for that yet.