Re: Bandwidth Management

"Green, William C" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 7 Mar 2014 03:02:52 +0000

We utilize bandwidth accounting (students purchase a tier of service).  No applications are blocked or slowed, unless the weekly allocation has been consumed, then its modem speeds.  We only charge the marginal cost of Internet bandwidth (no infrastructure/staffing).  The lowest tier is $1.07/month for 20GB.

Numerous reasons:
	Alignment with institutions core values (freedom of discovery and individual responsibility) -- silences "taxpayer" or inappropriate use of resources arguments (e.g. facebook/Netflix/torrents)
	Virtuous cycle for funding
	Serves as copyright infringement deterrent [Higher Education Act Sec. 487(29)A]
	Safe Harbor (bolsters ISP relationship)
	Scales well (technology, personnel, socially)

OK, we're not entirely there yet.  Students still receive 2GB/mo, but its become more of a tease -- over 50% buy or have another allocation and we're proposing eliminating it altogether -- student government has been supportive (want their Internet fast and to do as they please).

--
William C. Green                              e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Director, Networking and Telecommunications   phone:   +1 512-475-9295