Re: Juniper EX series switches

Jason Healy <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:47:21 -0400

On Mar 19, 2014, at 3:40 PM, Chuck Anderson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We use the Juniper EX2200 and EX4200 models in all our buildings and
> are pretty happy overall.  We use them for layer 2 only, with the DHCP
> Snooping, ARP Inspection, IP Source Guard, MAC-RADIUS 802.1x, Storm
> Control, and MAC Limit features.  We are waiting for some better IPv6
> support for those features.

Echoing that here ó we went all-Juniper a few years ago and now have EX4200 and EX3200 in all edge closets.  Weíre layer-2 as well, using the same feature list.  Same complaint about IPv6, though we have had some high-level conversations with Juniper and they promise thatís coming (havenít checked in with them recently).  We also have some long-running 802.1x bugs that weíve been working through with Juniper (much better now than 2 years ago).

We have full-PoE switches in each building (if we have a stack, then at least every-other is full PoE).  We only use them for access points and have been happy with them.  The new 4200-X series does 802.at, I believe. I havenít tried the 2200 or 3300.

One item to be aware of is noise.  The 1kW power supplies on the full PoE and the 4200 fan tray generate enough noise that itís annoyed some users in our older dorms (where the closets are right next to the rooms).  We picked up a replacement switch recently (Rev E instead of our older Rev C) and I can tell that itís *much* quieter, so perhaps theyíre addressing that concern now.  I would make sure that you test the model youíre interested in under full load in the same temperature as your closet so you know what kind of noise you might be up against.

Jason