Re: PoE standard (was Re: Juniper EX series switches

"DelGrego, Bill" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Mar 2014 14:28:01 +0000

Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller  :)

I'm pretty interested in this topic.  As you have already said, the number of devices that can utilize PoE is growing rapidly.

We are looking into what it would take to support PoE/PoE+/UPoE going forward as a service. We currently only support POE for Central IT owned devices (Aps, security cameras, etc.).  If we wanted to offer it out to the community at large for time clocks, building monitoring, etc., how does our support model change?  I was wondering how anyone was actually managing the POE from a support side?

How do you monitor/manage the power budget on a switch/chassis?  How are you doing troubleshooting when POE isn't working, but the Ethernet port itself is still functioning?  Can you monitor when PoE was working but has stopped?  Does anyone have statistics on the failure rate of a POE port or MTTR (Mean time to repair)?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill DelGrego
UITS - Network Engineering