Re: 5.0 ghz residential wall penetration?

Steve Bohrer <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 30 Apr 2014 00:40:05 -0400

On 4/24/2014 12:13 PM, Goggins, Patrick wrote:
> In addition, also take consideration other devices generating RF noise.
> While the 5Ghz band has more channels and less general interference
> because of this and the lack of the occasional microwave issue there
> still is the wifi-direct issue (ala Roku 3).

Note that in a not-quite-dense-enough deployment, wall penetration is
noticeably worse for APs on channels 36-48 than APs on the upper
channels, due to the lower max transmit power allowed in the UNII-1 band.

I assume that if you have an every-other-room deployment, then all of
your 5 GHz radios will hear each other and scale back their TX power, so
there may not be much difference channel to channel. But, in a
less-dense deployment, where you are hoping for maximum 5 GHz coverage,
it can matter, so try your wall penetration test on one of these
lower-power channels. I found it necessary to interleave higher and
lower powered channels in some buildings to get solid coverage.
(Meraki's auto-channel assignment algorithm doesn't seem to account for
these power differences -- they assume you bought a dense enough
deployment to not need to worry.)

Steve Bohrer
ITS, Bard College at Simon's Rock