Re: PDU Recommendations

Chuck Anderson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 30 May 2014 09:35:37 -0400

We've used APC's switched rack PDUs (AP7961 and AP8961) and
metered-by-outlet + switched (AP8661), and we are now looking at
ServerTech since they offer more configurations & customizations.

We've been a bit disappointed in the reliability of the APC AP7xxx
series.  They apparently have a non-user-serviceable battery in them,
that when it dies after 5-8 years, causes the PDU to shut outlets off
when the management card is rebooted, and if those ones ever lose
input power completely they become braindead bricks, having lost their
MAC address and other settings, and will never turn their outlets on
again.

We're looking at moving from 5.7kW PDUs with L21-20P inputs to 8.6kW
PDUs with L21-30P inputs, mainly because we can upgrade our circuit
breakers to 30A and outlets to L21-30R without re-wiring since we
planned ahead and had #10 AWG installed 8 years ago.