Re: Automated Virtual Bench Lab

Gregg Heimer <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 2 Jul 2014 14:53:33 -0400

We just implemented Netlab NDG for VMWare labs and our Cisco Academy Labs.
http://www.netdevgroup.com/products/

Gregg Heimer
Sr. Network Engineer
Montgomery County Community College

From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dale DuVall
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [NETMAN] Automated Virtual Bench Lab

All,

We are planning on replacing our removable drive sleds in our Computer Technology class bench labs with virtual technology. In the past, students were issued a removable drive and they built Windows and Linux servers through the term. Now we want to deliver the same functionality with VMs. We have VMWare experience and are poised to purchase hardware, but I'm looking for a solution to deliver the deployment to the students. Our vision is that they would log into a web portal of some sort, provision a machine, choose an iso to install from and have console access to the new VM. So far we have looked at vCloud Director and UCS Director, but they are way more than what we need, not to mention quite expensive.

We can't be the first school to think about this. What are you folks out there doing?

Dale

Dale DuVall
Datacenter Admin
Information Technology