Re: Campus Network Plans

Julian Y Koh <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Aug 2014 13:42:32 +0000

On Wed Aug 27 2014 15:02:03 CDT, "Entwistle, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Our current infrastructure is a pair of Cisco 6509 core switches with redundant 1Gb links to all the buildings on campus, and at the edge are stacks of Cisco 3750 10/100 switches.  Currently there is no distribution layer.  I was looking to see what other campuses are currently installing or planning to install, along with the associated inter-building bandwidth, to deal with the ever increasing amount of bandwidth required.

Our core is made up of 4 Cisco Nexus 7000 routers connected by 10G links.  We have a total of 4 10G between the 2 cores on one campus and the 2 on the other campus, plus another 2 10G that link our data center cores together, so a total of 60Gbps between campuses.

Distribution routers are mostly upgraded from Cisco 6509 boxes to Nexus 7K, although there are a few left to do.  Each distribution routing site has 2 redundant Nexi with at least 2 diverse 10G links back to the core routers on its campus.

Access layer closets in the buildings have stacked Cisco 3750/3750-X/3850 switches.  Each stack has at least 2 1Gbps links back to the distribution routing site for that building.  As those links get full, we upgrade them to more 1Gbps links or to 10Gbps links, depending on what is appropriate, but congestion on those links has been pushed out because with the Nexi we use vPC, so we can use both uplinks simultaneously, whereas before spanning tree would block one of those paths from being used.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Acting Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
847-467-5780
NUIT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>