Re: Campus Network Plans

Julian Y Koh <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Aug 2014 16:45:23 +0000

On Thu Aug 28 2014 09:07:38 CDT, Leo Song <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Our campus has 2 C6500 at Core and 2 pair of C6500 VSS at distribution, 2 C6500 at DC and various C3700/C3500/C4500 at access. When you upgraded to N7K, have you considered C6800?

At the time we made the upgrade decision, Cisco was still in the throes of its “The 6500 platform is dead, everyone should move to Nexus” phase.  It wasn’t until well after we made our purchase decision that the 6800 announcement was made.

Overall we still don’t think that the 6800 will have the lifespan in terms of bandwidth and port density that we’ll get out of the Nexus, but migrating from 6500 to 6800 would certainly have been tons easier in terms of feature parity and redesign.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Acting Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
847-467-5780
NUIT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/>