Re: password change issues

Thomas Carter <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Sep 2014 16:04:01 -0500

If you have password history in AD, attempts using an old password should not count against the invalid count.

Thomas Carter
Network and Operations Manager
Austin College

From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kurt Hockenbury
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 3:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] password change issues

On Tue, 2 Sep 2014, Mark Reboli wrote:
> how are you getting around all the byod devices that do constant syncs
> which disable accounts?

I have worried about this myself as we are moving to a BYOD environment.

I think that this article makes a good case for raising thresholds in the account lockout policy, enough to let a person with a few stale devices not lock themselves out, but enough to seriously slow down a brute force attack.

http://ravingroo.com/295/active-directory-account-lockout-policy-threshold-counter-strong-password/

-Kurt Hockenbury