Re: Cable TV

Richard Reitenauer <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Oct 2014 10:48:47 -0400

If we have an existing Comcast circuit with BGP full routes, would we still need a separate circuit?  I emailed our Comcast reps to see how we can go about signing up for this.  Also, what speed was the circuit?

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Julian Y Koh
Sent: Thursday, October 2, 2014 9:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] Cable TV

On Thu Oct 02 2014 08:16:31 CDT, Tim Tyler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Julian,
>  How does a service like this affect your bandwidth?

It uses some.  :):):)

Seriously, though, part of the service includes a circuit and BGP peering with Comcast, so all the streaming traffic gets delivered over that, so no impact to existing off-campus connections.  A side benefit is that you peer with the whole Comcast network, so depending on how many of your end users live in Comcast-land, you might actually offload a noticeable amount of your commodity traffic to a new Comcast link.

> Is it HD or SD
> streaming?

There are both HD and SD channels available.  The streams are also adaptive bit rate Flash, so if they detect packet loss, they'll adjust accordingly.

--
Julian Y. Koh
Acting Associate Director, Telecommunications and Network Services Northwestern University Information Technology (NUIT)

2001 Sheridan Road #G-166
Evanston, IL 60208
847-467-5780
NUIT Web Site: <http://www.it.northwestern.edu/> PGP Public Key:<http://bt.ittns.northwestern.edu/julian/pgppubkey.html>