Re: Cable TV

Brian Helman <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Oct 2014 19:23:13 +0000

We have no mechanism for charge-backs, but I have used your same model for major renovations/new construction.  I'm more concerned about the loss of flexibility on routine maintenance (e.g upgrading firmware).

How do you handle that situation where you need that 25th PoE port on a switch that provides 24?  Does your group eat the initial cost of a new switch and charge-back as the need arises to recover cost?  I used to fight this battle with respect to controller-based wireless.  When a new building that needed 20 AP's put us over the limit of the controller, would the Building Project eat the cost of a whole new controller even though it would only be using 10% of that controller?

Unfortunately, investing in infrastructure is never a top priority.  I used to buy switches out of operating budget until I was slapped on the wrist for it.  I was told I have to make a case in front of the governance committee for wholescale upgrades.  In the 6 years we've had a formal governance process, I've received 0$ to upgrade equipment (and so, we are back to buying network gear out of operational funds .. gotta love the state).

-Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Frank Sweetser
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 12:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [NETMAN] Cable TV

My own personal threshold for "we're a converged network now..." was when we quite literally wired up the kitchen sinks in our dining services kitchens .
(It was for a prox reader based system that tracked kitchen worker handwashing times and durations.  The audit trail proved to be very useful when the local health inspector showed up after a norwalk virus outbreak.)  Since then, nothing has really surprised me.

One thing we've done to help manage the growth is by working with whatever group wants the service tacked on, and working with them as early as possible to include any required networking/infrastructure upgrades into the service project budget.  For example, let's say that telecom wants to roll out IP phones to a building, but maintain 8 hours of service in case of power outage.
  That means that the rollout project must include either a generator, or very large stack of UPS batteries.

That way it's made very clear, in an objective bottom-line fashion, that asking more of the network means investing more in the network.

Frank Sweetser fs at wpi.edu    |  For every problem, there is a solution that
Manager of Network Operations   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong.
Worcester Polytechnic Institute |           - HL Mencken