Re: femtocells

Mark Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:07:19 +0000

These like devices are efficient but require a design as critical as a DAS BDA or like system.  As Femto-micro-pico cells sound great they are not designed for all carriers so you could have antennas installed for each carrier in a room, blanketing the ceiling.

The carriers are aware of this issue and working quickly to stand up the neutral host solution so there is one antenna that covers all of the spectrums but this is still a ways out.

It is a good time to be reaching out to integrators that have their pulse on this technology, along with GPS issues for 911 to get your best design, costing model and return on the investment.

Opening the ports necessary for these devices is another challenge between central IT, the carrier and IT security.

Mark S. Reynolds

UNM IT Associate Director
RCDD,PMI,ITIL v3, JS8
UNM Staff Council Grade 16 Rep
505.277.5988 Ph
505.321.2968 Cell
UNM IT - Building 153, room 2177
1 University of New Mexico, ABQ, NM 87131-0001
MSC02 1520

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Benjamin Franklin

GO LOBOS!