Re: PeerApp & other Caching Servers

"Sumpter, Jeppie" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Nov 2014 19:12:14 +0000

A Qwilt box (http://qwilt.com/)  is working wonderfully here, including tackling Netflix.

Jeppie Sumpter

Director of Communication Technologies

Western Kentucky University

-----Original Message-----

From: The EDUCAUSE Network Management Constituent Group Listserv [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Brian Helman

Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 10:19 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: [NETMAN] PeerApp & other Caching Servers

I had posed this question on the Security list, but didn't get a response, so I'll post it here to the more knowledgeable people ;) ...

It is my understanding that Netflix' streams include some manner of DRM signatures that are specific to the player, so caching wouldn't work.  With the talk of forticache and PeerApp, the information doesn't seem to be fully accurate.  Has anyone actually used a caching product successfully to deal with Netflix?  Per session Netflix is, by far, the most bandwidth-intensive application on my network.

-Brian