Dynamic DNS question...

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Feb 2014 10:57:07 -0500

Our network address/domain management has traditionally been ISC DHCP
and ISC BIND.  For dynamic addresses assigned from pools, we have DHCP
do the dynamic DNS update of a zone specific to the subnet in question.
We do not allow dynamic DNS updates directly from the clients. Typically
we have zones/subnets for each building, so we can generate a DNS name
that reflects the location of the client.  This has held up for some
time and everyone was happy.

However...  the Active Directory / Windows beast has reared it's ugly
head, and it wants to see just the "hostname" without the
location-specific zones.  We really don't want to switchover to
Windows-based DHCP/DNS and the other issues that go with it, so we are
trying to compromise and provide them with a more "generic" zone to drop
clients into.

We created a subdomain "host.utc.edu" and enabled client DNS updates for
this zone alone.  In a test case, if the "DNS suffix for this
connection" value is set to "host.utc.edu", and check both "register
this connection in DNS" and "Use this connection suffix in DNS
registration" options, then the client will properly register itself as
computername.host.utc.edu.

So...  now we are trying to determine some scheme to push that specific
configuration out to the respective clients.  Our Windows folks say that
it can be pushed as a GPO for Windows XP, but this doesn't work in
Windows 7.  And we're not immediately seeing a way to push this out via
DHCP either... we do not need this subdomain to be part of the search
list, so we don't want to push it as the primary domain (I don't think?).

Has anyone "been there, done that" that could provide some pointers to
accomplish this goal?

Thanks,

Jeff