Re: Network IP Tracking

Vlade Ristevski <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Feb 2014 13:54:37 -0500

There are alot of ways to skin this cat. Keep in mind that it's pretty
easy to change your mac address but for most cases it won't be an issue.

To log the username to mac-address you can use NetReg. To see a history
of every IP the user gets, log DHCP leases.

To get the switch/port info you could use DHCP snooping. The  switch can
be configured to store all the entries will be on a TFTP server. You can
back these up periodically or do some backend scripting for historical
purposes. A typical Cisco entry looks like this:

[amdin@r tftpboot]# more <switchname--dhcp>
52f3d849
TYPE DHCP-SNOOPING
VERSION 1
BEGIN
192.168.84.53 584 aaaa.bbbb.cccc 52F41999
Fa2/0/38                        1e01fd26

Also don't forget about mac-notify traps. A message will be sent to your
SNMP trapd server every time a mac address is seen on a switchport. I've
used this many times to track down mac addresses from a long as a month
ago. You can use snmptrapd(Linux) or Kiwi Syslog(Windows) to log the
messages.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15.0_2_EX/network_management/command_reference/b_nm_15ex_2960-x_cr_chapter_010.html#wp2420922673

If you don't want to do netreg, you can do 802.1x. The 802.1x wired
clients are a pain in the ass but if you want you can so Mac-Based
authentication so no 802.1x client configuration is needed. I think
Packetfence has this built in.

http://www.packetfence.org/

Nedi may help too.  We used to use it many years ago. I haven't kept up
with it though.

http://www.nedi.ch/